GrandGuignol.com Forum Index

<  Special Effects  ~  Acid Burns

jonthecelt
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:53 am Reply with quote
Forums Regular Joined: 04 Nov 2003 Posts: 10 Location: Devon, UK
Ok, here's my third (and for the moment, final) topic of the day...

As already discussed over in the General tab, I'm planning to stage a (possible post-modern) production of The Final Kiss. For this, I need two make-up effects, as far as I can make out. The first, slightly easier one, is a facial cast of Henri as an acid burns victim, to be hidden beneath the bandages until the final moments. The other, more tricky effect, is the new burns inflicted on the woman (whose name I always forget!).

I have ideas for the staging of both, but would always welcome advice on the latter. Also, if anyone has photographic reference materials I can use (or knows of a good source) then that would also be very welcome.

Jon
Tony G
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Posts: 4
When I staged The Final Kiss in 2003 I had a mixture of strawberry and petrolleum jelly in a sealed pouch similar to the bloodbags you're probably familiar with. The actress carried this pouch in a prepared pocket inside her vest. At the moment when the "acid" from the vial hits her face, she covered her face and fell to the floor. At which point, while she's screaming in agony, she applies the mixture to her face. When she comes up her face looks very messed up and its on her hands! Special effects are always a bit of business. But with the right blocking and lighting this simple solution came off great!
estriff
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Posts: 2
Hi all
We just had a great performance of The Final Kiss tonight. I mixed rasberry jam and blackberry jam with Vaseline. In the UK you could probably use blackcurrant jelly. It made the burns more blood-colored than rasberry jam alone. We're finding that the darker the color, the better.
We have it on a silicone potholder that sticks to the floor under a piece of furniture in Henri's room. The silicone surface stops it from sliding.
Cheers!
Erin
tish
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 09 Apr 2010 Posts: 2
Hey i am doing the special effects makeup for our degree performance of the final kiss. I was wondering if you had any pictures of your performances that i could look at. Also did u find it easier to make a cast for the acid burns, or to apply it all for each performance?

Thanks.
MyJuliet
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 01 Aug 2011 Posts: 3
I use Vaseline mixed rasberry jam and blackberry jam. In the UK, you probably use black currant jelly. It allows more blood than the rasberry jam separate color burn. We found that the darker, the better
jannypan
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 09 Mar 2011 Posts: 7
Also did u find it easier to make a cast for the acid burns, or to apply it all for each performance?
Tera Online Gold
WOW Gold
Buy Eden Gold
relgycandy
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 28 Jan 2013 Posts: 3
You say it! I very much agree with your point of view!I hope to be able to see your published posts.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Forums Regular Joined: 06 Oct 2017 Posts: 23
Hmm... i do not know muc about that, but it is very interesting

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 am Reply with quote
New Member Joined: 19 Mar 2018 Posts: 1
Hi, I’m Ajay Ahlawat Retd. Colonel in Indian Army. I like to play Polo.